Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Until I'm inspired...

I'll relate my happenings for the week. Better than nothing, ne?

Monday I saw Inglorious Basterds. I really enjoyed it. I don't know what it was...whether it was the movie itself, or the particular ambiance of the night in that theater, but it felt like i was watching a movie back home, for once, and it felt really nice. My only qualm with the movie was a few of QT's music choices - I felt a few important moments' music choices were random and didn't progress or support the scene it was matched with - but only a minor criticism. I really enjoyed the monologues this time around. A few of QT's films in the past, I'll doze off half way through some epiphany a character feels the need to ramble about for 15 minutes - I know this is what QT is known for or good at...and whether this effect is intentional or not...it's, you know,...tiresome sometimes. But I didn't really get that this time around. Maybe the movie was so suspenseful, or I've been so deprived for anything for awhile...that the monologues seemed great and smooth and captivating. So yea...enjoyable movie. =)


Tues....went home early. Tuesdays I'm always tired. Cuz I have a long weekend of sleeping and then a looong, busy Monday.
Oh Tuesday was bad cuz I had my Japanese lesson, and for whatever reason, I felt completely defeated from the start, so it tainted the whole hour....and through it all, I felt like an idiot for not being able to wrap my head around anything. ANYTHING. ugh. stupid Japanese. ... I'm still thinking in Chinese when I'm not supposed to...and I never know how to turn it off. sigh, I dunno. Don't like feeling defeated like that. And Japanese has that effect on me. So i got home, exhausted...ate ice cream by myself...late at night...which i haven't done in AGES...I felt like...isn't this what people do? Eat ice cream in front of the TV when they're sad? It didn't really work for me. I just felt more useless. haha.
Caught up on Mad Men. Really good episode! Season 3, episode...6?? Then went to bed early.

Yesterday...had the guys over for Rock Band. We played a little of Beatles Rock Band but Andy wasn't having it, so we switched back to the OG. Played for over 4 hours. The boys got drunk, as usual. I didn't. It was fun. While playing hostess I also managed to cook my lunch for the next day. (I decided to go off the school lunch this month -- try it out. Seeing as how they charge me an arm and a leg for it anyway. It's going alright. I could go either way really. The stress of remembering to buy something the day before, is almost just the same as just eating a crappy bowl of rice that's waiting for me when i come back from class). Anyway, I always feel really accomplished when I cook a hearty meal. And I always surprise myself when it turns out good. =) Wish I had more people to cook for. Or...less laziness to invite people over to cook for.

Today (didn't go to happy hour with Jesse and Falk)...instead, hung out at the bookstore for an hour reading up on world news - Time and Entertainment Weekly and Intouch. I miss magazines. And something about bookstores...the reading and the quiet. Really relaxing. I try to find time to read at the bookstore every 2 weeks or so. After, I grabbed a soup curry dinner with Sara. Then we saw 2012. It was all I expected and more. Fantastic forget-about-your-worries fun. I LOVE disaster movies. So it couldn't really dissapoint me in any shape or form. My favorite line -- the President's advisor tells the President (played by Danny Glover..yess) that a huge wave is coming and the world will end in an hour so they HAVE to get on the plane and fly to China PRONTO. To which the President replies... "well MAKE TIME!" =)

Tomorrow is Roy's bday. We'll be at the beer hall and then some karaoke.

Saturday night is the annual christmas party my previous Japanese teacher throws every year. Hence...it's...annual. I told Jonna Lynn to tell Sagara-sensei I'd be coming back next year...cuz I'm not sure how well I'm working with this new teacher I've got right now...and so Sagara-sensei invited me to the party. She's super sweet. This is the same 50-60 something Japanese woman who really seems like she's 30 with a new hip hairstyle every week that totally outshines anything I could ever have done on myself. The same one who dressed me up in a Kimono too. I love her. Really I do. So it'll be good to see her again. So that xmas party will be another night of karaoke along with the usual all you can eat/drink fair. This is the same one I went to last year where I won that silly black pillow and yellow wand from a raffle (Dan). ;)
Raffle and bingo are so much fun!

Sunday....a day to sleep in. yessss. I've decided I don't want to do anything. and I'm very pleased about it.

Monday -- another xmas party. All you can drink/eat Italian with my community Japanese lesson. That should be sweet. (there's this place in town that offers $2 90 minute japanese lessons once a week. It's just local volunteers who put in their time once a week for foreigners interested in learning japanese. It's a great class. And the teacher there is super sweet too.)

Alright there you go. A play by play of my week.
Hm...there may be some incoherency....somewhere among the ramblings?...but I'll leave as is.

Oh...jeez...Monday too, I've got my meeting with my supervisor about recontracting for a third year. Oh boy...that's drama that we'll save for another day.

What's new with you?? =)

cheers,
j9

1 comment:

  1. just wait til you get to the season finale of mad men. sooooo goood!!

    wow, can't believe you're going to thailand again! jealous. it actually sounds fun to be able to go back to somewhere and semi-know your way around. didn't we do a mini-zip line thing in chiangmai when we went on the elephant? or not. i can't remember.

    when are you coming home again for a visit!

    and wow, a third year in japan!!

    ReplyDelete