Saturday, November 22, 2008

Kanazawa Weekend

(Kanazawa...Geisha House Row, if you will. A small alley of famous geisha tea houses. very pur-tee)

SORRY SORRY SORRY!!
I haven't blogged in over a week. Just been pooped and keeping real busy but still lovin' every minute. And then internet stopped working Friday morning. And now I'm in Kanazawa for the weekend!Look it up...its, I suppose...a 2 hour flight from Sapporo.??
YAY PLANE RIDE!
the plane ride was beautiful and we hit some of the worst turbulance Ive ever felt on a plane, going through this terrible thunderstorm, and IT WAS AWESOME. so much fun.
Anyhow...its nice here. Lots of japanese culture that seems to be lacking in Sapporo. Dont get me wrong, i LOOOOVE Sapporo...but its true. There arent any pretty shrines or geisha houses (below) or ninja temples or...even tacky japanese souveneir shops! O well, ... a minor price you pay.
Today was relaxing - we did a lot of walking. Had an AMAZING beautiful tofu lunch. saw an old castle. saw some pretty gardens (supposed to be one of the top 3 "must-see" majestical imperial gardens of japan). And...say all you will about what you should and shouldnt be doing when you travel, but we saw The Fall tonight. (I kept missing it in LA, and then I missed it in Sapporo, and then it opened in Kanazawa today -- so it was obviously a sign that Olivia and I had to see it). It made me sad and envious and determined and sad again about traveling around the world and how there's so much out there to see and life is too short to achieve everything I want to do. Well the GREAT thing about seeing the movie is that I'm inspired again after a frightening short period of apathy towards the issue. whew. (sorry, does that make sense? im in a rush to type, haha)
But, that stupid tiny thought aside, it was a pretty movie (you know, pretty looking. and the narrative wasnt awwwwful like a lot of people made it out to be. it was cute. and of course, i fell for every single cute word that little girl said. im a true sucker.) haha, and of course I cried. =)
Anyhow, I'm on the communal computer at our ryoshan and there's a lady who looks like she's impatiently waiting for me to finish. A ryoshan is an ADORABLE cute traditional japanese style hotel thingy. You sleep on futons on the floor, and they've got beautiful gardens and NICE NEW tatami (essentially what our apartments are like...but the tatami actually feels nice to walk on, and the floors and closets aren't all covered in stains and torn up). Observations merely...no complaints. =)o, and its VERY nice to sleep with a heater on and not feel guilty about it. Well, less guilty. yes yes gas emmissions and all that, but its not on my bill. At least I suggest to turn it off when we leave. =)
its beautiful here.
Anyhow, so I should go. BUT...Ill try to post at school on Tuesday. and Hopefully get this internet issue at home sorted again.
<3
-j9
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment