Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Feels good to be back =)

Granted, I've only been in Beijing for...a few hours, but it feels great to be back. Before arriving, i was excited, and then apprehensive, and then turned off, and then exhilarated...roller coaster of emotions. some apathy in between there too maybe. But...stepping out of that fancy new airport...feels awesome.
I forgot that Beijing has a very distinct smell. And I like it. And I missed it. Didn't even know I did, until i landed. It's sort of...crisp with a stagnant smokiness that lingers everywhere in the air...mixed in with some pollution and street food. wonderful.
anyhow...I'm here. Ready for the adventures to start.
Had me some 12cent baozis (pork buns) and tasty coconut milk tonight, while catching up with Ryan. But we have SOOOOO much to catch up on, neither of us knew where to begin or where to end, and ran into tangents that didn't go anywhere. hehe, it was fun. but our english has gotten worse. so we're just a pair of goofballs right now. we'll improve. heh. 
The (NEW!!) express train from the airport to Ryan's neighborhood only cost $4. versus the $8.50 in Japan. Ok, that's not a big discrepancy. Though, things like a 6 minute taxi ride for $1.25 versus $7 is big. or...a baozi for 12cents versus $3. Gosh, I forgot how DIRT cheap it is to live in China. 
3 weeks is not enough!!

o, it was VERY exciting when I conjured up my chinese skills on the express train and asked a guy if i could use his cell phone to call my friend. ALL in Chinese. I couldn't believe I pulled the whole fluent conversation out of my ass so well. I'm glad I haven't forgotten ALL my chinese. CRAAAZY crazy how stuff stays with you, even without practice....well...but that was a long treacherous life-long journey to get to a point where i could say "can i borrow your cell phone..." without much thought. sheesh.

anyhow, only saw about 10 seconds of the city, at night, underground, but already, I've noticed MASSIVE changes in the city - also with the help of Ryan.
For one, um...new beautiful subway system. WTF. where, how, when did this get built!????! Wow. it's all...new. they use magnetic swipy cards...not that old fashioned....slip your ticket in, it sucks it up and returns it to you on the other side stuff.
and...people queue up here now!!! i know what you're thinking....OMG!!! NO WAY! I dont believe you. in china!! in beijing!???  yup....I know!!! it's mind blowing. it's shocking. i apparently no longer have to fight for my life on a bus anymore. aww...but that grittiness and absolute absurd rudeness towards anything that moved is what defined beijing....
well well, it's only the first night...I'll just have to go searching for it in the coming weeks.

whooo...tomorrow, first full day in Chiiina. I've already bothered ryan with a ton of, "where can i buy this, and that, and let's go shopping for this tomorrow..." haha. goods are so cheap here! i have to stock up while i can. Ryan....you must think I'm weird. I swear, I wanna do more than just shopping. haha...but it's good for me to get out of the way while you finish up classes. besides, i hate shopping. so it probably won't even prove to be too productive/successful anyhow.

anyway, that's my short update.
in beijing. quite enjoying it so far. =)

o...and korea scared me. while i was hanging out in the airport for my layover. but i'll touch base on that another time.
nights!

(AHHH!! I'm in Beijing!!! eeeeee!!!! it hits me in spurts.  I think I'm still out of it from the plane ride.... but man...gooooood to be back. =D)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are in beijing and i am in CHIERIA! not fair, ne!

    i had the same thing when i got home for the summer vacation - i was hit by the smell of johannesburg ... a smell i never realised was there before. its funny how sensory memory can be so strong and so repressed at the same time!

    ooh oooh why did korea scare you??!? i will be there on saturday, so i need to know stuffs!

    ReplyDelete