Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New School & New Couch!

Started my new visiting JHS today - the kids are odd - REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY shy and quiet and awkward -- but I only went to one 7th grade class today, so, I obviously can't judge the whole school from one class...but still...it made lunch with the students awkward and unpleasant.

The teachers at this school want me to do A LOT of lesson planning and games and activities, which is new to me - surprinsingly since I've been here for 8 months already. But usually, at my base school, or ES, the teachers know what they want to do, and would rather not rely on the possible flakiness of a JET - so it's all preplanned before you go to class. But this school I'm at this month....seems they like to do things differently.
No problem with that! Just different.
Gives me something to do actually...which is nice for a change.

And...today I feel quite accomplished, cuz I went home to wait for 3 packages - I GOT the three packages, plus got me my book club book, PLUS, got a chance to eat dinner at home for once - something I haven't done in ages, it feels like. I just bought some salmon sashimi ($3 for that whole plate to the left! - and puts all shame to any sushi you've ever eaten in LA) and made some green onion pancakes - both delicious and cheap.

1st mail package: Got my stimilus money form thing - everyone in Sapporo is getting $120 "free" stimulus money. so that's pretty sweet.
2nd delivery: Got my free $100 gift certificate for Bic Camera (a HUGE everything-technology-household-alcohol-anything you can dream of-department store) --> which i got when I signed up for free internet for 6 months.


and 3rd: The highlight of the night was that I got a brand new, spanking, beeeeautiful, beige leather couch - freeee too. :) I mean, it's ABOUT TIME i get something in my apartment that doesn't look like it's been through a tornado (couch, ALL sliding doors), then ravaged through by homeless people (permanently grey walls and the absence of blankets, curtains, etc), pooped on a few times (wood and tatami floors), and ripped clean of anything decent (missing door knobs, half broken wall hooks) before it's dumped back into my delapitated apartment.
I'm very thankful for the new couch...but seriously, it shouldn't have taken 9 months to see one small change in this crap of an apartment.
BUT, it really DOES make a HUUUUUGE difference in the overall aesthetic of the place, and for that, I'm VERY grateful. I'll take what I can get!




AND, as I mentioned, i even had time to run 2 blocks to the library and pick up Galapagos -- the new book for book club this month. Hey look at that, another FREE item i've received...



ok, well that's my quick update. I suppose they come easier if you keep up with it! ;)
-j9

2 comments:

  1. i want a new couch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    what school are you at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at Nishino JHS near Hassamu Minami.

    Yea...the couch is quite a treat - but they took my old one out (better that way though, cuz it was a PIECE OF SHIT - even guests wouldn't sit in it cuz it was so ravaged).

    But...I still live in Alice's total delapitated destruction of an apartment...so the new couch is simply a small consolation to get me to shut up (<---Mr. Ito's words, more or less.)
    ;P

    ReplyDelete